Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: Chicken Biscuit Pie

This week's recipe is another I've had around for years. It's simple and one of my favorite comfort foods.

Chicken Biscuit Pie

Ingredients:

1/3 cup butter
1 onion, chopped
1/3 cup flour
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
Salt & Pepper
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen carrots
2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded

Biscuits:

2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
5 tbsp shortening
3/4 cup milk

Preheat oven to 450. Grease a 2 quart baking dish.

In a large saucepan, saute the chopped onion in butter. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Add chicken broth and milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add frozen veggies and chicken and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Pour into greased baking dish.

In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly. Stir in milk just until dough is moistened, then drop by spoonfuls onto chicken mixture.

Bake at 450 for 12-15 minutes.

A few personal additions. I do whatever veggies I have on hand. Frozen, fresh or canned. Just remember they must be cooked prior.
Also, I find the biscuit mixture to be too much and always half it. Or double the chicken mixture, whatever meets your needs. I also cook it at a lower temp. Usually 375.
You can use canned biscuits also. Throw them on top, or bake them separately.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Angela said...

I've been hungry for homemade chicken potpie. I think I will try this!