Sunday, August 14, 2011

Crazy Days

Sorry for the absence!

Is it really Sunday already? Where did the past week and a half go?

I totally missed an entire week of grocery shopping. Needless to say our fridge and pantry are looking pretty bare.

Phoenix has been sick and I've been preoccupied with him. He stopped eating just over a week ago. This didn't really concern me as he will do this from time to time. He's quite stubborn. I had just opened a new bag of Iams so I wasn't sure what the problem was. He held out for days. It wasn't until Wednesday that I got concerned. He nibbled at his food I had just put out and ate maybe a 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup. He then promptly threw it all up. He was also acting like he didn't feel good. He didn't want to play, and he didn't want to chase the cats. You KNOW something is wrong when that happens!

I got online to make sure there weren't any recalls on his food, and checked the bag of food but everything looked fine. So I went and bought some Beneful to fill in until we could figure out what was wrong. He ate all of his food that night, but still acted like he didn't feel good.

He ate normally the next day, but early Saturday morning he had thrown up everywhere. I was about to cart him off to the vet as soon as they opened, but decided to try some rice as he acted like he was starved. Not a big surprise there!

I made rice for him and he ate all of it. More rice for lunch, then I boiled some chicken and gave him a rice, chicken and carrot mixture for dinner.

This morning he had rice, chicken, and carrots again and seems to be feeling better. He even chased the cats.

We're still not sure what's going on, if anything. So we're keeping an eye on him for now.

I have decided to change up his food for a more all natural kibble. I was a bit dismayed after seeing the ingredient list for Iams. I've been shelling out more money for a food I thought was better, but come to find out it has quite a few icky ingredients. There is no dye in it like the Beneful, which is good, but still some things I don't want to see in his food.

I'm now wondering if the dyes were what made him sick. He had become accustomed to the Iams so it is a possibility I think.

I also found a lot of people complaining about skin, ear and eye allergies with Iams. This is something that Phoenix has started having problems with. I always blamed it on pollen and outdoor allergens, but started checking the pollen count and everything has been extremely low or non-existent. Now I'm starting to think he's developed an allergy to his food.

So for now he's going to be eating an assortment of things so I can see if the allergies clear up.

I'm leaning towards switching towards Blue Buffalo brand. The ingredients are decent, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I really liked the TimberWolf line of food, but at $25 for a meager 4 pounds, I think we shall pass!


No comments: