Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Tasty Tuesday

Gahhh! I forgot Tasty Tuesday again! Obviously I was too busy whining! Hopefully this weeks recipe will make up for being a day late. It was delicious! I had seen a recipe for Bacon Wrapped Chicken somewhere. You smeared cream cheese on top and something else then wrapped them in bacon. I looked everywhere but I couldn't find it! I found this recipe instead. I've convinced myself it's much better than the other would have been anyway! So here you go.
I am posting the original recipe, just because that's how I am. I made several changes and I will detail those at the end.

Bacon Wrapped Chicken

Ingredients:

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/2 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, sliced
4 slices bacon
1 tsp fresh chives, chopped
1 can condensed cream of chicken
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp lemon juice
Salt and pepper

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Pound the chicken breasts until flat. Put a slice of cream cheese, and a teaspoon of chives into each breast and roll up. Wrap each piece with a slice of bacon, securing with a toothpick. Place in a 9x13 inch baking dish.

In a medium bowl, combine condensed soup, mayo, milk, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Mix until smooth. Pour oven chicken.

Bake in a preheated oven for one hour.

Okay, that was the original, feel free to go that way if you wish. I did notice as I was typing this out that the recipe only calls for 1 tsp of chives, then says to put a tsp in each chicken breast?? Anyhow! This is how I changed it up.

I didn't have chives on hand, so those were out. I didn't pound out the chicken breast. Instead I slit a small pocket into each breast, sprinkled with a little seasoned salt, and pushed the slices of cream cheese inside. I then wrapped each piece with two slices of thick cut bacon. You can't go wrong with more bacon!
Being a smart chickadee…I knew if I put these in the oven the bacon would come out nasty bacon mush, and nobody wants nasty bacon mush. So I browned them in a skillet until the bacon was just nice and crispy.
I mixed the condensed soup, mayo, and milk together. I didn't have lemon juice, and I skipped on the salt and pepper. The condensed soup is chock full of sodium anyway, and I knew the bacon would lend a nice flavor. Plus I had sprinkled some seasoned salt inside the chicken breasts.
I poured this mixture into my little baking dish, then placed the chicken breasts on top.
I kept the heat at 325, but because I had already browned the chicken they only took about 30 minutes to fully cook.

I served them with a lovely mushroom couscous, and green beans.

Enjoy!

I meant to take a picture, but we were starving and they smelled so good we dug right in! Next time around!

1 comment:

Angela said...

Sounds delicious!