Saturday, June 18, 2011

My Little Mockingbirds

A little Mockingbird family moved into our backyard hedge several days ago.

We've enjoyed watching them. Feisty little creatures they are! They chase off birds twice their size. The cats love to watch them swoop down into the yard. One afternoon they even brought their lunch onto the porch.

I noticed that they were coming and going from the hedge against the back of the house. It's right outside our bedroom window, and they've been quite noisy.

I figured they must have a nest so I went out on Wednesday and sure enough. There was a little nest sitting just inside the hedge. It was empty.

Thursday morning at dawn, we were woken by incessant chirping. It was driving us crazy! This is the only downside to our little feathered friends.

Later that afternoon, on a whim, I went and checked the nest again. This is what I found.



Such a pretty little egg! I was unsure as to what kind of bird had laid it so I did a little research. I had guessed it was a Mockingbird, but I wanted to make sure. Sure enough, the eggs matched.

On Friday, I went out to check on the little egg and found this…




I was under the assumption that birds laid their eggs all at once. Haha, I guess not! So I did some more research, and found that they lay one each day, and can lay anywhere from 2 to 6 eggs! Hello!

So today, I went out fully expecting number three. I was a bit worried as they had been waking us up first thing for the past several mornings, and this morning all was quiet. I peeked into the hedge, and I wasn't disappointed.



I wonder if tomorrow will bring a fourth?? I'll keep you updated!

No comments: