Thursday, June 2, 2011

Rooms To Go - Part 2

The continuation of our Rooms To Go nightmare.

So bright and early one morning, over an hour early by the way, table number three arrives. Unfortunately, the same nasty delivery man from last time did too. His name is Larry come to find out.
This delivery was the worst one. He came in and asked what was wrong with the table. I explained, in great detail, showing him everything on the underside of the table. He wasn't happy. As he walked out to the truck, he informed us that the table was fine when he delivered it last time. Wow! That's right ladies and gentleman. We break perfectly fine table for the fun of it, so we can endure the unpleasantness of repeated deliveries. I would have liked to have said that to him, along with a few other choice things, but I held my tongue.
In they brought the new table, and started putting it together. They had the equivalent of children's tools, so my husband told them to hang on a moment and he would grab some real tools so they weren't killing themselves. He grabbed his tools and let them use them. We also realized they weren't putting the new legs on, but using the old ones instead. We immediately asked why, and Larry caught massive attitude and started arguing with us. We never did get a straight answer, and I just told him to forget about it since the legs weren't the problem. As they were finishing up, Richard noticed the large staples sticking out of the bottom of the table. This had happened last time, and some fell out onto the floor and I nearly impaled my foot on one. Richard asked them to hang on a moment and let him grab some pliers. This massively aggravated them even more. As he walked away, they started talking about him and making fun of him. I was standing right there.
What do you do in that situation? I was beyond flabbergasted, and so ready to get these men out of my house before I lost it and went postal on them.
Anyway, Richard removed the staples and the two guys flipped over the table. Again, I reminded them not to shove it together, and to check the tabs first and the notches underneath. They placed the leaf in, and again it did not fit. Larry informed us this was an easy fix, and removed the tabs. They then proceeded, even with our protesting, to shove the table together. It broke, just as I had told them it would. The other delivery guy said he could fix it, and proceeded to start unscrewing everything underneath the table. I had to tell him multiple times to just leave it alone. Larry told me to have them send out a tech and they would fix it. Ahhh.
So again, I got on the phone with c/s. This, unfortunately, was not a nice one. She didn't care that the delivery guys broke the table, or that they were rude. After all, they subcontract them out, and there's nothing they can do. Really? That's your defense? How does RTG do this? Perplexing. She then proceeded to tell me I needed to go pick out a new table from the showroom. This was when I discovered how RTG really does business, and an important tidbit everyone should be aware of.
Once you purchase furniture from RTG, they will NOT give you your money back. No matter what. That paper you signed when you purchased the furniture, has a lovely little clause on the back. It's nigh impossible to read, but it's there. It listed two exceptions. The first being if you cancelled your order within 48 hours of placing it. Who would do that? You haven't even gotten your furniture yet. The second, and I'm quoting, "If you do not cancel the sale within 48 hours, only 80% of the purchase price will be refunded to you. No refunds are available, and sales cannot be cancelled after merchandise has been delivered in good condition". So the loophole is the "good condition"…but wait! They, and they alone determine what good condition is. And they and they alone have the right to either refund your money, or have you pick out another piece of furniture to exchange.
In my opinion, these are shady business practices. I know some may disagree, but that's the way I see it. At no point were we made aware, or even shown the back of the sales order. The terms and conditions are printed in a very light shade of grey on a white background, in very tiny print. It's almost impossible to read. I truly believe if people knew this going into the purchase, that they would have a lot less business. RTG holds all the cards.
Back to my phone conversation with the c/s rep. I asked her why I needed to pick out another table. She told me because this one isn't working out for me. Ummm, really? I think a better answer is, RTG can't deliver an undamaged table. I told her there was no other table I wanted, so if they couldn't deliver an undamaged table, I would like to get my money back. She absolutely refused. Wouldn't even entertain it, and said she would send a tech out.
Thankfully, the tech was extremely nice. We explained what happened, and she took one look at the table and said have them send you another one. She was the one that told me we could refuse delivery and make them put the furniture back on the truck. She was the first, and only, completely frank and honest RTG employee I've interacted with. She also told me to tell c/s to have someone else deliver, and refuse to let Larry the nasty delivery man in my house again. This was a Thursday, she let me know someone would call Monday or Tuesday.
Okay! Information in hand I waited for the call. And waited, and waited. Friday rolled around, so I picked up the phone and called them! "We've left you messages" the c/s rep informed me. Ehh, no you haven't! You would think a company this size would have their act together? She again tried to have me pick out another table. I refused, and delivery was set up yet again. With different drivers I might add! She told me since we had been having so many problems, she would have them check the table at the warehouse. Great!
By this time, my chairs were set to arrive. Yes, this went on for over a month and a half. Ridiculous. So I scheduled table number four to come with the chairs.
Delivery day rolled around, and bright and early they showed up. They were friendly and courteous, we were amazed! They brought the table in, and let me look at it. It was badly damaged and scuffed on the top. The side was so badly damaged that the paint was gone. So much for checking it at the warehouse!! The chairs, thank goodness, were okay. So I refused delivery of table number four and called c/s yet again.
The rep answered and I explained that we had refused delivery of a table this morning, and needed to schedule another. She asked for my info, and after looking it up, said "Oh, the table" and promptly put me on hold. She was gone forever, and when she came back she told me I had to pick out another table. I explained that I had been over this, and that RTG didn't have any other table I was interested in. She put me on hold again. She then asked what was wrong with the table I refused. I explained it was badly scuffed and damaged. On hold I went again. I think I had "Dust in the Wind" stuck in my head for a week after that. They played it over and over and over. Torture!
When she came back she apologized for putting me on hold so many times. She was a nice one. I am convinced that it was because of her, I was able to get another table delivered. Come to find out, the warehouse had refused to send me another table. They had put that I needed to pick out another table. Who does business like this?? So we arranged for delivery of table number 5.
I was honestly convinced that table number 5 was not going to work, and the leaf was going to have the same problems. I just knew we were going to have to go down to the showroom and demand our money back or threaten a lawsuit or something. At that point I was ready to just keep the table if it wasn't damaged, and ask for a percentage off because of the screwed up leaf.

This morning, table number five arrived. The delivery man wasn't overly friendly, but we were nice and patient. We had them unwrap it outside and took a look at it. It was undamaged, no scuffs, no gouges. The real test would be once we got it inside.
They took the old table, and set up the new one. We told them not to worry about the leaf, and to just leave the table upside down.
After they left, Richard tightened the legs and removed the staples. We put the leaf in, and you will never believe it.
It fit!! We were amazed. Thank heaven!!!
Unfortunately, we realized that the leaf would not lock in place. Whoever had installed the locks had gotten them way off. Rather than try for table number six, my handy husband was able to reinstall the locks so that they locked properly. 

Even though we finally got a complete table, I will never shop at Rooms To Go again. This experience was a nightmare. It took almost two months to get a dining room set. RTG makes a lot of promises, promises they don't live up to. They tout service, convenience, and value. They promise the best in service and delivery, and that your piece will arrive in showroom condition.
After our purchase, I got online and did some research on RTG. I came across thousands of complaints against this company. Complaints I became all too familiar with. What's more disturbing, is that they are in good standing with the Better Business Bureau. I honestly don't understand how they are still in business. I guess most people just put up with it. Or maybe we're just massively unlucky! Haha.
Whatever the case may be, the next time I need furniture I will avoid Rooms To Go.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Oh my goodness . . . what an ordeal. You certainly have more patience than I do!

Emily said...

LOL, Angie. I think you are about the 4th or 5th person to say that to me.