Thursday, June 2, 2011

Rooms To Go

As I sit here waiting on yet another Rooms To Go table to be delivered, I thought I would blog about our experience with Rooms To Go.
If you're reading this, and contemplating purchasing furniture from RTG, you may want to rethink that decision and refrain.
Back in mid April, we started looking for a dining room table. We were in the Regency area and decided to stop in at RTG to take a look. They had an okay selection. One table in particular caught my eye. I spoke with the salesman and he told me how much it would be out the door, and that they would Scotch Guard the chairs for free. It was a decent deal, but I wanted to keep looking. Ashley Furniture is very popular up here so we headed there next. They didn't really have anything I was interested in. They were featuring a lot of counter height gathering tables, which were nice, just not what I was looking for.
Next stop was American Signature, they didn't have a thing that I was interested in. So we headed back to RTG. This time to the closer location, next to the Avenues. Once in the store we tried to get the assistance of a sales person. They're usually hounding you, but this time nothing. We waited for about 15 minutes, and kept getting ignored, so we decided to leave. The employees at the Regency location had been much nicer, so we drove the 45 minutes each way to that store. On our way we called to make sure the table and extra chairs were in stock, and everything was on the up and up. We were told they were available for next day delivery, and to come in and they would take care of us. We were also told this table is being discontinued, so if we wanted it, we should come in as soon as possible. Things went downhill from there.
Once we arrived we were greeted by a very friendly and enthusiastic Gary. He was nice, he was professional, things were good…until he told me the set would be $300 more than I was originally quoted. That's a pretty big difference. He went over all the various charges, and since it was the only table I had found that I really liked and we all know how picky I am, we decided to go for it. Once everything was totaled up, there was still about a $60 dollar difference that wasn't making sense. So my dutiful husband scrutinized everything and realized that we were being charged for Scotch Guard. It was supposed to be free right? Um no, it isn't free. But the other sales guy told me it was included, yeah well it's not. So do you want Scotch Guard? Well, yes I do. I love that he just slipped that in there. He never asked us if we wanted Scotch Guard at first, just added it knowing full well it was extra $$$. I digress.
So we paid for our purchase and then proceeded to set up a delivery date. Remember I was told next day delivery? Yeah, that didn't happen. They scheduled the table and four of the chairs for the following week. Which wasn't a big deal, other than I was told something different. The two arm chairs, I was informed, aren't in stock. Ahh, now you tell me. By this time I was starting to get a bit more than agitated and uncomfortable. So we set up delivery for the arm chairs for a month and a half later. Yes, a month and a half. My main concern after Gary told me the chairs weren't in stock, was that he had also said over the phone that the table was discontinued. I was afraid that I would get the table, then the arm chairs would never be delivered and I would be up the creek without a paddle. He assured me that would most definitely not happen. That is the one, and only thing that has actually come to pass.
You would think that after all that, we would have said, you know what no thank you, and walked away. But we didn't, and I regret it!
To date we have had four tables delivered. Yes I said four!
This first delivery brought two chairs that wobbled terribly, and a table badly damaged on the top. There were deep gouges, and multiple scuff marks. I pointed this out to the delivery guy, who immediately caught attitude and informed me that he didn't do it. Um, I didn't say that you did, I was just pointing out that this table is damaged, and I don't want it or the two chairs. He told me I would have to keep it, that he can't put furniture back on his truck. He told me he would note that the table and chairs had damage, and that they would deliver another one, and take this one at that time. Had I taken a moment to think about that statement, I would have realized that this was ludicrous. Of course they can put furniture back on their truck. They're going to take it on the next delivery, so why not this one? So I signed, he left, and RTG called a few minutes later. I explained everything and we set up delivery for table number two. If they try to tell you to keep the furniture, don't listen. Demand that they take it.
A week or so later, table number two arrived, along with two more chairs. And so did a delivery guy with an attitude. They brought in the new chairs, and we checked them to make sure they were okay. All was well. We pointed out the two wobbly chairs and then moved on to the table. They set up the table, minus the leaf, and I took a look at it. Everything looked good. No scratches, scuffs, or gouges. Shouldn't we make sure the leaf fits, says my wise husband. "The leaf fits", says grouchy delivery man. "They are made specific to each table". He was in a hurry, and he couldn't be bothered. Oh I'm sure it will be fine I said. I'm starting to wonder if I have rocks for brains.
On a whim, my husband checked the two chairs again. One wobbled just like the old one. He asked if they had taken the correct chairs, and was given much attitude and told that they took the chairs that they were told to. We pointed out that the new ones didn't wobble, but this one did, so there must have been a mix up somehow and a new chair must have been taken out to the truck instead of the old one. The delivery guy refused to go check, and told us if we wanted to get the other chair we'd have to do it ourselves. My husband had to take the chair out to the truck, climb in the delivery truck, and find the new chair and bring it back in.
They were over an hour late for that delivery, and Richard and I had to leave immediately after them. Needless to say we weren't able to check the leaf until that weekend. We pulled the table apart, stuck the leaf in, and yep, you guessed it…it didn't fit. The holes didn't line up, and neither did the tabs. Upon further inspection, we realized that the underside of the table was badly damaged. It was obvious that whoever had gotten this table before us had slammed the leaf together, and broken the wooden pieces underneath. It had then tried to be repaired by the warehouse I am guessing. Wood pieces didn't color match, and there were obvious repairs.
So I called RTG again, and explained the situation.
As a sidenote, you are very fortunate if you A - get a friendly c/s rep who actually gives a care in the world, B - actually speaks clear English, or C - isn't a complete drone. I talked to a LOT of c/s reps, and I can only think of 2 or 3 who didn't make me want to scream and pull my hair out.
Anyhow, they set up delivery for table number three. Boy was that a doozy.
I'll blog more later, as this one has gotten obnoxiously long!

No comments: