Saturday, June 14, 2008

Getting Greener

Okay, big news in my little corner of the world. My thumb is getting greener.
Yesterday evening I ventured out with the hose to water my recently planted sunflower seeds. To my shock and awe they were already popping up!
Scoff if you must, I don't care.
It's no secret that I'm a plant killer, so this is big for me.
I immediately called Richard and informed him of my triumph!
This morning we went out and looked at them and more had popped up. There are probably 15 to 20 popping up right now.
I'm pretty excited, hopefully they will continue to grow.
I was on cloud 9 until Richard said "I hope we don't mow them over." Be forewarned you two, if you mow or weedwhack my sunflowers there will be a high price to pay! LOL! So now I'm thinking I should probably just break down and make a flower bed. I've been wanting to, just never got around to it. We'll see.
So there's my big news for the day. When they get bigger I'll take pictures.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow, you must have planted a lot of seeds. We didn't have that many to come up last time we grew sunflowers! Where did you plant them? I helped Amanda plant some herb pots today. Hopefully they will grow in this heat! Oh, the canna that you gave me has turned into about 10 huge cannas, so we had to dig them up from the front and I replanted them in the back. They were getting so big and spreading so much, but they bloom beautifully!

Emily said...

Man! I'm jealous! Mine are doing okay, they are just now getting taller and starting to bloom. We had the first flower maybe two weeks ago.
I planted most of them in the front yard to the right side of the house in front of the fence. The others I scattered in front and to the left and some back by the clothes line.

Angela said...

Yeah for you . . . I don't have a green thumb either. Timmy does like to try. He had some sunflowers, a corn stalk and either an apple or pear tree started in pots before we travelled to the U.S. We arrived back to find Nagy had brought a gardener in and allowed them to poison the weeds all in the area where these were . . . alas . . . he no longer had anything left!

Lynn Ann said...

Congrats on the new-found green thumb. I wish I could grow sunflowers and vegetables, but living in an apartment doesn't afford such luxuries. Oh well--I have a small pot with mint and lavender. I will remain content, for now!