Friday, August 22, 2008

Rain, rain and more rain!

Thanks to tropical storm Fay just kind of plodding along we have been getting buckets and buckets of rain! We've all been cooped up in the house and Phoenix is starting to get stir crazy! Poor thing, when I woke up this morning it was pouring and windy. He had to go out so bad so I opened the back door. He walked out under the porch and looked at me like "I'm supposed to go in this?" He promptly walked back inside and started chasing the cats. =)
One HUGE blessing is that in all this wind and rain we have not lost our power once. On Wednesday they reported about 15,000 power outages in the Jacksonville area 12,000 of which were in the Arlington area (where we live). By Thursday it had jumped to 80,000 and 100,000 that night. The lights never even flickered!
Yesterday we did finally jump in the truck and head out. I can only stay in the house for so long! We headed down to the beach. As soon as you got out of the truck the sand was stinging so bad from the high winds. We headed down to the water along with several other people. I took one picture but because of all the rain it didn't come out. I did take video which I will try to get on here somehow.
People are funny around here. You would have thought a Category 2 was coming to town and not just a tropical storm. Everyone was freaking out. The stores and gas stations were full and our neighbors even boarded up some of their windows.
Unfortunately, my sunflowers that I had planted right before summer had just bloomed right before the storm. I don't know if they've survived. I haven't been able to get a picture for all the rain. The neighbors would really think I'd lost it!
Well, that's been our life for the past few days. Hopefully the power will stay on!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Glad Fay wasn't any worse than she was. It's not fun to lose your power in the good ole summertime! I remember what it's like, and it's definitely not fun! I feel sorry for those who did.

Angela said...

Been wondering how much you all were affected by the tropical storm. Glad to hear everything is okay.