Sunday, August 10, 2008

Pregnancy Updates

Now that the secret is out I'm sure everyone will understand why my blog posts have been few and far between lately! It's hard to get motivated when you don't feel good!
For those who don't know, I'll be updating my pregnancy here on my blog. It's just simpler. And I LOVE simple!
I'll start at the beginning, here we go!
I discovered I was pregnant on June 28. To put it bluntly I was scared to death. Probably not most women's reaction but such as it is. My recent loss was still quite fresh and I did NOT want to go through that again.
July 9 we went to see Sharon. I had previously decided to go through a midwife and birthing center, and stuck with the same decision.
Because of my polycystic ovarian syndrome combined with the recent miscarriage we weren't sure when we conceived. We tried a doppler with no success. So we scheduled an ultrasound. Sharon ordered my blood work as well as a test for my progesterone levels to make sure it wasn't too low.
July 10 I headed to St. Vincents Hospital to get my labs done. The lady looked at me and said, "You do know you're getting a LOT of blood drawn today?" Well no but okay!! She was excellent and I was fine.
July 15 was my ultrasound. We saw our little miracle for the first time. I can't describe the absolute joy of seeing that little heartbeat. The baby measured 5mm so Sharon determined me to be between 6 and 7 weeks along. I was hoping for 10 weeks but okay! I just wanted to get over that 9 week hump so I could stop worrying. That night we told my parents and my sister. They were pretty darn excited!
July 16 I got my labs back. Everything was good except the progesterone. It was too low, which is more than likely why I miscarried the first time. So Richard and I headed to the pharmacy and I got started on my Progesterone.
The next few weeks were, lets use the word interesting. The progesterone made me so sick. That along with trying to get past that 9 week mark without completely losing it made everything seem to take so long.
I find it fascinating the things that God uses. I had bought a jounal with my first pregnancy and never used it. The second time around I started writing in it. It's just a simple little journal and has Bible verses printed on the bottom of every page or so. What is so neat to me is that with each entry the verse at the bottom seemed to speak to what I was writing. When I was out of my mind with worry and anxiety there was Philippians 4:6. "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."
On August 6 we had our second appointment with Sharon. I'm staying on the progesterone for now. After we finished everything up she got a doppler and we waited patiently as she searched for the heartbeat. We found mine pretty easily, then heard the heartbeat of our little miracle. You've never seen three more excited people! Sharon even got emotional. I love her, she truly cares. That is hard to find.
I probably could have sat there for hours just listening. It was so comforting. Richard had the sense to suggest recording it so we did!
As I was writing in my journal after our second appointment the verse was Psalm 107:9. "For He satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things." Tell me about it.
Before we even got out of the office Richard was sending out the video to my parents and sister!
Sooo, as far as my due date, that will be determined at 18-20 weeks. Because of the strong heartbeat and that it was so easily found Sharon is thinking I may be a lot further along. We were originally thinking I was due in March, but for now it's February. I'm going with 11 weeks for now, until I find out a more exact due date. You can also track that here on the blog. I have a growing baby widget. If you click on the weeks it will scroll through weeks and days to go, as well as weeks and days done so far.
Well, that is about it for now. I am doing well. My body has almost completely adjusted to the progesterone and I'm starting to feel a lot more energetic.
Will keep you updated!

5 comments:

Lynn Ann said...

Are you going to find out the gender or do you want to be surprised?

Emily said...

Well, we decided this evening that we would just find out together. Richard had been adamant about wanting to be surprised, but decided it would be too difficult to keep it a secret! I'm the kind that HAS to know!! I have to plan these things!

Amanda said...

YAY!!!!!!!! I let everyone listen to the heartbeat recording! :)

Melissa said...

I just knew Richard would not be able to not know whether the baby be a boy or girl!
That was so neat, being able to hear the baby's heartbeat so early! It made it seem so much more real! I think Daddy even had tears in his eyes when he heard it!

Neugier said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our thoughts and prayers are with you three! May your journey be a blessed one!