Thursday, February 16, 2012

Crafty Project


I love Pinterest! I find so many cute things there.

I came across this really neat fabric scrap wreath a few weeks ago.


Cute huh? I needed something Valentiny for my front door and thought this would be perfect. So last week I set off to find a foam heart mold and some fabric.

I searched, and searched and searched some more for a foam heart. No luck. Either they didn't sell them or they were out of stock. Rawr! So I opted for a round foam mold.


I started with some pretty fabric I found at Jo-Ann's.

I cut it down into 2 inch strips.

Then again into 2 inch squares.


My husband walked in and saw me tediously cutting squares and says "There's gotta be an easier way to do that. Why don't you use the paper cutter?"

Haha, so Mr. Genius went and got it for me and surprisingly it worked! That made the process go quite a bit faster. Not to mention straighter!


After all the squares are finished, you take a pencil and place it in the middle of your fabric square. Make sure the tip is against the finished side of the fabric.


Wrap your fabric snuggly around the pencil, and dip the tip in some glue. I used Tacky glue. In this case, a little goes a long way.

Next, poke your fabric covered pencil tip into the styrofoam mold, and withdraw the pencil. The fabric should stay put in the styrofoam. I did find that after a while my pencil got tacky and the fabric wanted to stick. I simply sharpened my pencil a bit and we were back in business.



Continue poking your squares into the mold until you completely cover it. I did leave the back bare, as I had planned to hang it and want it to lay flat.

The final look you get is completely up to you. I had a tendency to stick mine very close, and ended up with a very tight wreath. I do like the looser look better I think. I ripped some of mine out, but overall it is very full.


I still want to do a heart one. I'm thinking heart foam with some polka dot fabric would be adorable!







2 comments:

Melissa said...

After seeing your wreath I decided I have to make one too! How much fabric did it take?

Emily said...

I don't remember how much I bought!! I'm sure it was a couple of yards at least. For the patriotic one I'm getting ready to do I bought one yard of each color. It seems like it will be plenty.
I would buy two yards just in case. I made mine too thick. You can get away with much less fabric if you make it more loose.