Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Out of It

I really, really dislike going to the dentist. After I moved up to Jacksonville I stopped going on a regular basis. I just did not want the chore of finding a new one. Plus, I wasn't having any problems.

Several months ago, we were eating dinner at La Nop and my tooth broke. It was all the way in the back, didn't hurt at all, so I left it and became accustomed to it. Just a couple of weeks ago it happened again. Same side, but on the bottom. It happened while Richard was at the dentist. What a lovely twist of fate eh! So begrudgingly I had him make an appointment for me.

It was as I fully expected. I needed two crowns. A full one on top, and a partial on the bottom. A whopping $2100. UGH! The bottom was the worst, so we dove into that one.

Thirty minutes into the procedure, everything changed. The tooth started bleeding uncontrollably, the root was badly damaged, and I was informed I needed a root canal. Another $1000. They put in a temporary filling for the now.

Firstly, I think I am being grossly overcharged. Secondly, I was not at all impressed with the new dentist. I have a tiny little mouth, and he was not at all gentle.
The left side of my face blew up like a little balloon. He had given me a script for Vicodin and I am so glad I filled it. I usually like to tough things out, but by the time we got to Walmart I was miserable.

So needless to say I've been out of it for the past two days. He really did a number on my mouth! I've decided I'm just having it pulled. I can think of a lot of other things I'd rather spend $3000 plus on. It just seems absurd to me that people can charge that kind of money. And crowns don't seem to last that long either!! I'm just thankful they are all the way in the back.

On another note, why is it that when your husband goes to the grocery store with you, you always end up spending more?? Haha. Don't get me wrong, I love it when Richard goes with me, but we always seem to spend more!! He hates going to the grocery store, but since I'm on the vicodin I can't drive, so he had to take me today.

On an interesting note, the cashier struck up a coupon conversation with us. He said they have a coupon lady that uses lots and lots of coupons. Apparently she was in today and spent $40 on $400 worth of groceries. Hello! He said she does it all the time.

She must have been the one that cleaned them out! :0)

No comments: