Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Phoenix's Short Lived Adventure

After Phoenix's little escapade yesterday, it dawned on me that I haven't been blogging for him. Maybe that will come to pass sometime soon...I make no promises.
As some of you know, our backyard is fenced in with your typical 4 foot chain link fence. Behind the fence is a large ditch. It runs the entire length of the street. It's basically city property, used for run off water I believe.
I had taken Phoenix outside to run and play, and Richard was inside taking a nap. He was running about and suddenly spied a cat sitting in that ditch. He got so excited and started running back and forth. Suddenly he ran to the corner and jumped right over the fence. I about died! He had a collar and info on him, but he's such a nomad I knew he would run like the wind. I went tearing over the fence after him yelling at him to stop. Thankfully the kitty got away, but so did Phoenix. The whole length of ditch is fenced in and ends on both sides at a street. I was so afraid he was going to come tearing out of that ditch and run in front of a car.
The ditch is overgrown with weeds and as he is running all I can see is his fluffy white tail bobbing away. It was quite comical and I wish I had video of it.
I had the sense to run in the house and grab his treats. I also ran into the bedroom to grab Richard. That was even funnier. I have to give him kudos for responding so quick. I yelled his name and he immediately sat straight up in bed and yelled "What, what what?" I think he flew out of bed and got out the door faster than me!
I don't know why, but Phoenix listens to him! We hopped over the fence and he yelled for Phoenix and a running he came! I'm so glad Richard was home. I would have been running down that ditch shaking his treat bag, yelling the whole way!! The neighbors would have thought I'd lost it.
So that was Phoenix's big adventure for the day. He is now confined to the tie out when he goes outside. He isn't pleased.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I can't believe Phoenix jumped over the fence! And funnier yet, I can't believe you and Richard jumped over the fence! Wish I could have seen that!

Emily said...

I'm sure if any neighbors were watching they had quite the entertainment!

Amanda said...

ah..phoenix! that is actually pretty funny