Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Tasty Tuesday

Everybody likes comfort food right? That dish that invokes pleasant feelings, brings back good memories, or just plain makes us feel happy!

This week I'm sharing one of my very favorite comfort food dishes. It's basic and simple, but I think most comfort foods probably are.

For me, this dish is comforting not only because it is delicious, but because it reminds me of the love and care from a sweet friend who made it for my husband and I after my c-section. I will always think of her, and the love she showed me when I make this.

Deep Dish Chicken Pot Pie

Ingredients:

1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
Italian dressing
4 oz cream cheese
2 tbsp flour
1/2 cup chicken broth
10 oz carrots, peas, and broccoli
Deep dish pie crust

A couple of side notes…you can switch up the veggies to your liking. If you use raw vegetables, cook them first until they are tender. If doing frozen, let them defrost a bit prior to adding them. Also, you can use a frozen pie crust, or make your own. I use the frozen Pillsbury crusts. Gasp! I know, my Mother is ashamed! It comes two to a package. I pop the crust out of one and use it for the top crust.

Directions:

Marinate your chicken in the Italian dressing. Time is just a preference. I don't do mine long, 15 minutes or so.
Preheat oven to 375.
Cook chicken in a large skillet over medium heat, using a little dressing as your oil.
Add cream cheese and cook until melted. Stir in flour, then add broth and vegetables and simmer for several minutes.
Pour mixture into pie crust, and top with second crust.
Cut slits for steam venting, and bake for 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Gasp! I'm so ashamed! :)
Now I want Chicken Pot Pie!