Monday, May 2, 2011

Clogged Drain

The other evening I was cleaning up dinner when my sink clogged up. I was running the garbage disposal, and it just started gurgling and filling up with water.

Naturally I freaked out. I had the whole "why me, I've already spent loads of money on other appliances in this dang house now something else" pity party! I also knew Richard would be none too happy at me "breaking" the garbage disposal! So I didn't tell him! Haha.

Anyways, I decided to deal with it the way I deal with things best…by going and painting my bathroom.

The next day I decided I had better figure something out before Richard used the sink and noticed. Plus, only being able to use one side of your sink isn't really the most desirable.

I was having visions of me on the floor, head under the sink, with a large wrench of some sort in hand, covered in nasty sludge. Not cool.

So I plopped on the couch, headed over to Google, and typed in "sink with garbage disposal won't drain". I came across a lot of different options, calling a plumber kept popping up. No thank you, no $200 service for me. Getting Draino or some other sort came up also. I don't really like the idea of paying too much money for hazardous chemicals that you dump down your drain, and probably won't work anyway! One that I also kept seeing was a trick with vinegar and baking soda. Cheap, safe, I have them in my pantry…let's try it!

I abandoned the called for measurements and dumped a box of baking soda down the drain, followed by a large amount of vinegar. Aside from any unclogging benefits, that alone was pretty cool! There's your science experiment for next week.

I let that concoction sit for a few minutes, ran some really hot water, then gave it a plunge. Voile! I have never seen a clog drain so fast!

I may just have to tell Richard how fabulous I was at unclogging the sink! Haha.

By the way, my bathroom looks great!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Isn't there some sort of science experiment you do with vinegar and baking soda....causes a volcano to erupt!! I can just envision the volcano erupting in your sink!

Emily said...

LOL, yes! Angie should remember those days.

Angela said...

Yep . . . that's what I was thinking of. Did you have a big mess to clean up?? What colour did you paint your bathroom?

Emily said...

Haha, no. I think if you did it in a cup or something narrow you could get it to shoot out! The sink was so large though that it just poofed up quite nicely.
Bathroom is painted Geyser by Martha Stewart Living colors. It's kind of a aqua color.

Anonymous said...

Ha..I never heard of that one..cool it worked so well, have to remember that one, am so proud you did all by yourself..woman power to the rescue..lol, bathroom sounds pretty..pictures?