Sunday, July 27, 2008

And We Call Them Domesticated?






I was pondering something this morning. Why do we refer to cats as domesticated? Are they really domesticated? Maybe just a little more so than your average lion roaming the plains of Africa!



When Richard and I woke up this morning, I stayed snug in bed and he ventured out. He let the cats out of their room ( I will explain this in more detail later) and they proceeded to fly about like wild little beasts.



As I'm laying there, both of them proceeded to zoom about my bed. They were flying on and off the bed, jumping on furniture, and soaring over Phoenix as he calmly slept on the floor beside me. As one of them started attacking my foot I asked myself...And what exactly makes these creatures so domesticated?



Sure, they're a good bit smaller than their larger counterparts, but the actions are still the same!



They might not be able to bite my foot off, but that doesn't mean they won't try! Just last night as I was watching Law and Order, Maggie calmly approached me and bit me in the foot! Completely unprovoked I might add!



These two stinkers have their own sleeping quarters at night because they act like crazed, high on catnip, psychocats! We learned rather quickly that they do not sleep like normal cats. No, they prey about the house seeking slumbering heads to pounce on. More specifically, MY slumbering head! It didn't take too many times of me waking up screaming because something had just attacked my head for us to realize this is just not going to work. Hence, their own room complete with bed, food, water, and litter box.



Oh, and speaking of litterboxes...I guess sometimes it's just more fun to poop on the floor. And we call this domesticated!



The old saying, curiousity killed the cat will probably come true for these two. They obviously do have 9 lives, but how many are left?



I think Boomer is definitely the more curious. He doesn't like closed doors. He's figured out how to open one of the kitchen cabinets. It's a constant battle of me closing the door, and him opening it. So if you ever come in my kitchen and notice one of the cabinet doors hanging open, you now know the answer!



If they can stick their head in it, it's there. No bookcase is left unscaled, box left uninvestigated, shelf left upright, hair band not run off with, bug ignored, and in most cases, left uneaten.



They eat, sleep (during the day), play, and fight. I have never seen two 3 1/2 year olds fight as much as they do. They pounce, they bite, they chase, they growl and bite some more!



Don't get me wrong, they do cuddle and love on each other. It's very sweet, but even lions do that.



So I think the word we're looking for here is "ever so slightly more domesticated".



Or maybe it's just MY cats!



This is why I like dogs. Phoenix sleeps at night. He doesn't pounce on my head, bite my feet, or poop on my floor. Okay, well he has but only from being scared out of his mind from fireworks. That's different! He doesn't scale my furniture and he leaves my cabinets alone!






Yes it's true. He is my domesticated angel. Even when he does eat bugs.

5 comments:

Angela said...

Aha . . . so that's why the cats have their own bedroom!

Amanda said...

haha that was quite humorous! I like your cats!

Anonymous said...

i think cats and dogs think about pooping on the floor and factor in that THE HUMAN would love it.

Amanda said...

hahaha

Melissa said...

John and Tigger definitely ain't domesticated either! Left me a "surprise" on the ironing board yesterday, sliced my toe open while leaping on to the sofa and finding where John had apparently spent the majority of his time during the week we were away!